This can be a tough time of year for a lot of reasons, never mind having to go through Valentine’s day on a special diet or struggling with sugar addiction. All those sweets and chocolate and decadent date-night desserts… it’s enough to drive you mad. My anniversary also happens to be around this time (this year is number 11!), so there’s a lot of pressure to come up with or go out for extra-special meals. But if you have food allergies or autoimmune disease, Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be a bust! These AIP Strawberry Brownie Parfaits are simple to make and wonderfully indulgent. Adapted from my popular AIP Chocolate Cake recipe, these brownies involve very little prep, cook fast, and make the perfect crumbled base for a bright, festive, strawberry parfait. Of course, you can use any fruit you like here–raspberries, bananas, and cherries would be particularly good. You can also use the Banana-Avocado Frosting from the original cake recipe instead of the coconut-based whipped cream if you want to.
Are you suffering from adrenal fatigue?
Are You Tired and Wired? is one of my favorite books on adrenal fatigue with chronic illness. It’s a comprehensive yet straightforward examination of the factors at work and home that contribute to chronic adrenal dysfunction and the diet, lifestyle adjustments, and emotional reprogramming that can help fix it. A healthcare provider with a focus on women’s health, Marcelle Pick will help you identify what type of adrenal dysfunction you suffer from and provide an easy-to-follow, science-based program to help you restore balance to your life. I found it extremely helpful with my own chronic fatigue!
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries (diced)
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease an 8" square pan with coconut oil or any other cooking fat.
- Combine all brownie ingredients in a high-powered blender and process until smooth.
- Spread the batter into the cake pan and bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before cutting or crumbling into pieces.
- In six serving dishes, spread equal amounts of the brownie crumbs and sliced strawberries, then top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.