This soup is based on an old family favorite recipe for chicken tortilla soup from back in the days I still ate… well, everything. Despite losing the dairy, tortillas, and peppers, this AIP adaptation still has a delicious, vaguely enchilada-like flavor (which I attribute to the okra).
Keep it Simple with Freezer Cooking
Preparing meals ahead of time and keeping them on hand in the freezer is one of the best ways to make any diet change sustainable. You’ll wind up spending less time in the kitchen most days and will always have something ready to go when hunger or cravings strike. With Freezer Cooking for the Paleo AIP, you’ll get 123 tried-and-true recipes from 30 of your favorite autoimmune protocol bloggers to help you out. Designed for batch cooking and advance prep, each recipe includes instructions for storing, freezing, and reheating it. There are recipes for every meal of the day and recipes for special occasions, too! The ebook is now available as a digital download for $18.90.
- 1 pound chicken breasts (chopped)
- 4 medium carrot (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups okra (chopped)
- Combine all ingredients except the okra in a slow-cooker.
- Cook on low 4 hours.
- Add the okra during the last 10 minutes of cooking, then serve.