With hearty vegetables and savory Italian seasonings instead of dough and dairy, this Pizza Soup feels quite a bit healthier than its namesake. Still, the pepperoni and sausage make this soup is as indulgent as it is delicious. If you’ve ever wanted to drink a pizza, now’s your chance! It’s one of my favorite comfort foods, especially in cooler weather when a salad just doesn’t have the same appeal. Plus, while it’s cooking, it makes the kitchen smell great. You’ll be salivating well before its 45-minute cook time is up, but don’t be off-put by the commitment: It takes only a few minutes to throw together and the rest is hands-off. That’s the best kind of recipe, in my opinion!
Need Help Meal Planning?
Feeling uninspired or struggling to stick to your Paleo or autoimmune protocol diet? It helps to have a plan. Real Plans will create a custom plan for your family’s size, schedule, and needs and it’s just $6/month if you sign up for an annual subscription. This is a great next step for those of you that have finished 28 Days of AIP and are looking to keep the ball rolling with new, exciting recipes!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (chopped)
- 1 cup no-tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces mushroom (sliced)
- 1 pound sausage (crumbled)
- 4 ounces pepperoni (sliced)
- 2 ounces black olive (sliced)
- sea salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and cook the onion, garlic, and thyme until the onion is translucent.
- Add the zucchini and no-tomato sauce and bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth, then return to the stove.
- Add the broth, sausage and mushrooms and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked through and the mushrooms are tender.
- Garnish with pepperoni and olives and season to taste before serving.