This dish was one of my favorites when I was vegan, but required a little tweaking when I made the change to a grain-free diet. It’s a mildly spicy Pad Thai that gets its bite from black pepper, lime, and cilantro, and can be adapted if you’re on a special diet like the autoimmune protocol or trying to eat low-histamine. While I prefer to use spaghetti squash for the noodles, you can also use spiralized zucchini or sweet potato if you throw them in with the mushrooms. You can also add beef, pork, or chicken if you like, but one of my favorite things about this dish is that it’s affordable, quick to make, and tasty without the meat!
Looking for Some Simple AIP Recipes?
When you’re dealing with fatigue, pain, or illness, eating healthy is hard enough without having to multitask while cooking or clean up a huge mess afterwards. That’s why one-pot meals are my favorite. 28 Days of One-Pot AIP is exactly what it sounds like: A 28-day meal plan featuring only 100% autoimmune protocol, one-pot recipes. There’s an intro to explain the AIP and one-pot cooking and the preparation is so much simpler when you’ve only got one thing to keep track of. Plus, you’ll be amazed at the variety of flavors still available to you, like my Chicken Pot Pie Soup, satisfying green smoothies, and colorful salads! The e-book is now available for $9.99.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 8 ounces mushroom (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon onion (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small spaghetti squash (cooked, seeded, and shredded)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed butter (omit for AIP or low-histamine)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut aminos (omit for low-histamine)
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cashews (omit for AIP, nut-free, or low-histamine)
- 1/8 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (omit for low-histamine)
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic until tender.
- Add the veggie noodles, nut butter, vinegar, water, pepper, and salt and stir constantly for another minute.
- Add the green onion and the nuts, stirring. Serve garnished with cilantro and a splash of lime juice.