This dish was one of my favorites when I was vegan, but required a little tweaking when I made the change to a grain-free diet. It’s a mildly spicy Pad Thai that gets its bite from black pepper, lime, and cilantro, and can be adapted if you’re on a special diet like the autoimmune protocol or trying to eat low-histamine. While I prefer to use spaghetti squash for the noodles, you can also use spiralized zucchini or sweet potato if you throw them in with the mushrooms. You can also add beef, pork, or chicken if you like, but one of my favorite things about this dish is that it’s affordable, quick to make, and tasty without the meat!
Treat Your Sweet Tooth!
Being on a restricted diet doesn’t mean you have to give up every indulgence. Temptation can be rough, and when it strikes, it’s nice to have something on hand that’s safe to eat. Enter Sweet Apricity. They make creamy, delicious caramels and fluffy marshmallows that just so happen to be 100% autoimmune protocol-friendly. With excellent customer service, high-quality ingredients, a subscribe and save program, and some of the most incredible sweets you’ll encounter on the AIP, your sweet tooth doesn’t have to go wanting. Plus, they’re a great gift for anyone with food sensitivities!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 8 ounces mushroom (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon onion (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small spaghetti squash (cooked, seeded, and shredded)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed butter (omit for AIP or low-histamine)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut aminos (omit for low-histamine)
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cashews (omit for AIP, nut-free, or low-histamine)
- 1/8 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (omit for low-histamine)
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic until tender.
- Add the veggie noodles, nut butter, vinegar, water, pepper, and salt and stir constantly for another minute.
- Add the green onion and the nuts, stirring. Serve garnished with cilantro and a splash of lime juice.