This dish was one of my favorites when I was vegan, but required a little tweaking when I made the change to a grain-free diet. It’s a mildly spicy Pad Thai that gets its bite from black pepper, lime, and cilantro, and can be adapted if you’re on a special diet like the autoimmune protocol or trying to eat low-histamine. While I prefer to use spaghetti squash for the noodles, you can also use spiralized zucchini or sweet potato if you throw them in with the mushrooms. You can also add beef, pork, or chicken if you like, but one of my favorite things about this dish is that it’s affordable, quick to make, and tasty without the meat!
Looking for Low-Histamine Recipes?
A low-histamine diet can be immensely helpful for MAST cell disorders or people with excess histamine production, but it’s an extremely tricky diet to manage. My e-book 28 Days of Low-Histamine AIP combines low-histamine foods with the anti-inflammatory autoimmune protocol diet in a 28-day meal plan designed to jump start and simplify your diet change. The meal plan includes 36 simple, satisfying low-histamine recipes including a variety of dishes like Chicken Schawarma, Cabbage Roll Stir-Fry, and Chimichurri Steaks. You’ll be amazed at all the flavors still available to you! The ebook is available as a digital download for $9.99.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 8 ounces mushroom (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon onion (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small spaghetti squash (cooked, seeded, and shredded)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed butter (omit for AIP or low-histamine)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut aminos (omit for low-histamine)
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup green onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cashews (omit for AIP, nut-free, or low-histamine)
- 1/8 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (omit for low-histamine)
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic until tender.
- Add the veggie noodles, nut butter, vinegar, water, pepper, and salt and stir constantly for another minute.
- Add the green onion and the nuts, stirring. Serve garnished with cilantro and a splash of lime juice.