I’d love to say this Apple Sausage Stir-Fry was a huge hit here at home, but my husband didn’t actually get to have any while I was developing this recipe. By the time he got home from work, there wasn’t anything left of it. I couldn’t help myself–I was hungry and it was so good! (Plus, when I’m testing recipes, I don’t make a very large amount in case things go south.) If you haven’t had fennel before, it’s got the texture of onions but a mild, sweet flavor with the aroma of licorice. It’s a wonderful plant and a unique addition to your culinary repertoire! It pairs wonderfully aware with the tart-and-sweet flavors of apples and cherries while also complementing the rich, savory blend of herbs, spices, and ground pork that makes up the sausage in this recipe.
You can use pre-made ground sausage, crumbled sausage patties, or sliced links for this recipe. Just make sure you check the ingredients if you use store-bought sausage and need to follow the autoimmune protocol. If fresh cherries aren’t available, frozen ones work okay–just thaw and drain before use. But a sprinkle of dried cherries or cranberries makes for a great substitute, too!
Don’t Feel Like Cooking?
That’s okay! Everyone needs a break sometimes, especially during busy times like the holidays or when you’re sick or stressed out. When I find myself unwilling or unable to prepare healthy meals myself, I turn to Paleo on the Go. Yes, they have autoimmune protocol-friendly options! With tons of nutritious, delicious, pre-packaged meals, Paleo on the Go‘s ready-to-go, frozen courses are perfect for those days you just don’t want to be in the kitchen. They even offer an appreciable selection of AIP-friendly treats, including toaster pastries!
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium fennel bulb (sliced)
- 2 medium green apple (chopped)
- 1 cup cherries (pitted)
- 8 cups spinach
- Combine the pork and seasonings, mixing well.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the meat and fennel 5 minutes, stirring to break up the meat, until the meat is browned and the fennel is soft.
- Add the apples and cherries and cook until the sausage is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the spinach and stir-fry until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.