I’d love to say this Apple Sausage Stir-Fry was a huge hit here at home, but my husband didn’t actually get to have any while I was developing this recipe. By the time he got home from work, there wasn’t anything left of it. I couldn’t help myself–I was hungry and it was so good! (Plus, when I’m testing recipes, I don’t make a very large amount in case things go south.) If you haven’t had fennel before, it’s got the texture of onions but a mild, sweet flavor with the aroma of licorice. It’s a wonderful plant and a unique addition to your culinary repertoire! It pairs wonderfully aware with the tart-and-sweet flavors of apples and cherries while also complementing the rich, savory blend of herbs, spices, and ground pork that makes up the sausage in this recipe.
You can use pre-made ground sausage, crumbled sausage patties, or sliced links for this recipe. Just make sure you check the ingredients if you use store-bought sausage and need to follow the autoimmune protocol. If fresh cherries aren’t available, frozen ones work okay–just thaw and drain before use. But a sprinkle of dried cherries or cranberries makes for a great substitute, too!
Looking for Some Simple AIP Recipes?
When you’re dealing with fatigue, pain, or illness, eating healthy is hard enough without having to multitask while cooking or clean up a huge mess afterwards. That’s why one-pot meals are my favorite. 28 Days of One-Pot AIP is exactly what it sounds like: A 28-day meal plan featuring only 100% autoimmune protocol, one-pot recipes. There’s an intro to explain the AIP and one-pot cooking and the preparation is so much simpler when you’ve only got one thing to keep track of. Plus, you’ll be amazed at the variety of flavors still available to you, like my Chicken Pot Pie Soup, satisfying green smoothies, and colorful salads! The e-book is now available for $9.99.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium fennel bulb (sliced)
- 2 medium green apple (chopped)
- 1 cup cherries (pitted)
- 8 cups spinach
- Combine the pork and seasonings, mixing well.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the meat and fennel 5 minutes, stirring to break up the meat, until the meat is browned and the fennel is soft.
- Add the apples and cherries and cook until the sausage is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the spinach and stir-fry until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.